STONE KING RALLY
A TRANS-ALPINE MTB ODYSSEY
44.6673° N, 7.0904° E
THE RACE ITINERARY, VOL.1
Same but different. Very different.
We have always believed that the Southwestern Alps of Europe contain the best rideable terrain in the World in terms of quantity, quality, and out there feel. That’s why we’ve stuck to the formula of an itinerary starting on the edge of the High Alps, and finishing at the Mediterranean Sea.
But it’s quite different this time around: Stone King passes to the North of the Mercantour range putting 70% of the route in Italy. Each year our itinerary will pass through the Queyras Park, the Occitan Valleys of Piemonte, the wild Roya Valley, and the hallowed hills of Liguria; all incredible areas in their own right, all previously unseen on a multi-day rally.
Whilst the nightly stop-offs will largely remain the same from one year to the next, the trail itinerary will change almost entirely between each edition, providing a mind-blowing amount of fresh terrain for you to race (or indeed just ride!) each year.
Some basic route information and stats for STONE KING RALLY, Volume 1  …
Stone King Rally, Vol.1 | 28 June - 3 July 2022 | CLICK HERE FOR RACE ENTRY INFO
Santa Cruz Stone King Rally, Volume 1  will take place from Tuesday 28/06/2022 to Sunday 03/07/2022 inclusive (6 days) and has a capacity of 100 entrants.
The Santa Cruz Stone King Rally Volume 1  all-inclusive package price is €2095. This price includes 20% European sales tax, local fees and almost everything imaginable within the realm of your Stone King race experience, as follows:
- 6 days of racing. Exclusive first access to the annually-renewed Stone King itinerary.
- 12 vehicle shuttles for a total of over 12000m (40000ft) off-bike height gain
- Official Stone King Rally Vol.1 route notes and souvenir book
- Neutral mechanical assistance courtesy of SRAM
- Breakfasts & Packed lunches
- Evening meals with wine
- Feed station salads, snacks, hot & cold drinks
- Post-ride aperitif food, beers and soft drinks
- Convivial tent village accommodation with a high staff-to-participant ratio
- Baggage transfer from camp to camp
- Airport transfers (from/to NCE) on arrival and departure day
Entry applications will open at 00:00 CET at the start of Tuesday 30/11/2021 (23:00 GMT / 15:00 PST on Monday 29/11/2021) and will remain open for 48 hours thereafter.
To apply for entry, please complete and submit our online application form (link below).
Please note the following important points before completing the form:
- You may not participate in Santa Cruz Stone King Rally on an electric bike.
- Somewhat unusually, our final day of racing is on a Sunday which therefore means departure from the end of our event on Monday 04/07/2022, when we will provide airport transfers accordingly. We are unable to provide airport transfers on the final day of racing, Sunday 03/07.
- For your application to be successful, you must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. This is part of the regulatory process allowing events such as Stone King Rally to operate in Europe in 2022 (re: Covid-19 and related difficulties, our refund policy is fully detailed on the application form).
- You do not need to pay upon entry application. If your application is successful, you will receive instructions in due course about how to make payment. The deadline for full package payment is Friday 10/12/2021.
- Just one entry application is allowed per person, and just one entry application is allowed per form; please do not submit a form on behalf of a duo or team as it will be immediately rejected.
- You will be notified by Friday 03/12/2021 as to whether or not your application has been successful. We will email you either way.
STAY UP TO DATE
Stone King is an ambitious project tasked with building upon the race legacy and core values of Trans-Provence (2009-2019) whilst concurrently increasing accessibility to such an adventure. This complex undertaking would not have been started without the incredible support of a handful of the world’s best MTB and outdoor brands. These are the companies and people whose partnership makes STONE KING RALLY (& related future projects) reality:
MORE ON OUR PARTNERSHIPS
SANTA CRUZ BICYCLES
Santa Cruz Bicycles’ exciting product line-up and industry-leading engineering need no introduction. Today we’re proud to announce Santa Cruz as Stone King’s title partner and sponsor, with their marketing team collaboratively involved in every step of our project, from first concepts all the way through to race execution and tour platform production.
“Santa Cruz has always been about supporting access to the best trails and bringing the relevant communities together. Following on from sponsoring Trans-Provence and its message about what an MTB rally could look like, it seemed obvious to take part in this next step, the more community-centred adventure that is Stone King”
– Loïc Delteil, SANTA CRUZ BICYCLES
Mountain biking is made better by the innovative prowess and attention to detail which go into producing SRAM’s components, and Stone King could not be happier to have their support as first associate sponsor. SRAM will provide comprehensive neutral mechanical assistance to all participants of the annual Stone King Rally.
“Great rides make great stories, and for a great ride sometimes you need to get lost. Airing a battle cry for those that are hungry for seemingly endless grinds, life-changing descents and unforgettable friendships is Ash Smith’s specialty. The Stone King Rally will push our products to the limit, as well as leave a lasting legacy on the people and communities that it will touch.”
– Ross Measures, SRAM
There is no better-known name in moto and MTB apparel and protection, and no other brand that Stone King staff would rather be kitted-out by! Fox Racing’s exceptional range of clothing, helmets, pads and bags covers every eventuality on the mountain, from solo scouting to party trains. We’re stoked for them to join our adventure.
“Building on the legendary Trans-Provence’s foundations, Stone King Rally is a true MTB riding event which will build unforgettable memories for all participants. Fox Racing is proud to be supporting such a race that will develop an amazing riding experience for the community as well as much the technicality of our products to the extreme.”
– Vincent Saccomani, FOX RACING
Suunto produces second-to-none sports watches covering the full extent of GPS hardware needs for our route research, and of course your discovery and analysis of the Stone King itinerary.
“Suunto was founded over 85 years ago when we started making more accurate and reliable compasses. Since then we have been enabling adventure. And that’s exactly what Ash Smith and the team is doing as well: They scout the terrain and find the best trails to ride. We are super excited to join the Stone King Rally and also to enable people to navigate and ride it on their own.”
– Antti Laiho, SUUNTO
Centred around an adventurous community spirit, Komoot is a cycling app allowing riders to find, plan and share adventures. We are working with Komoot to provide the perfect digital accessory to the Stone King adventure; a powerful, purpose-built navigational aid for race and tour versions of our itinerary.
“Komoot is all about community driven adventures and the desire to explore. Komoot and Stone King share the mission to enable riders to explore new places and trails by bike. By working with Stone King Rally we will render a once-in-a-lifetime experience accessible to all mountain bikers who seek adventure, amazing trails and community spirit.”
– Calixta von Feilitzsch, KOMOOT
Stone King’s transport requirements are fulfilled by the absolute best in the Alpine airport transfer and MTB shuttle business.
“Cool Bus has a relationship with Ash Smith that stretches back some twenty years and we are very proud to have played an active part in his innovative and ever evolving, point-to-point race formats since the very start.
We clock up over 80% of our kilometres shuttling clients around the northern French Alps through knee deep snow in the depths of winter. Providing shuttles for Ash’s events and tours provide a welcome contrast, with their own different sets of challenges and the added bonus of being able to wear shorts to work! We are incredibly excited to be working on this new project which is once again pushing the boundaries of what a mountain bike race can be.”
– Rob Forbes, COOL BUS
MONVISO: THE STONE KING
Standing 500m higher than anything else in its approximate vicinity, Monte Viso, Mont Viso or simply Monviso [3841m] is the Alps’ 10th biggest peak by prominence and its north face gives rise to Italy’s longest river, il Po.
Known locally by the moniker il re di pietra (“the stone king”) this legendary rock pyramid is the undisputed dominant summit of the Southwestern Alps, visible from as far away as Milan. It was mentioned by writers from Dante to Chaucer, housed a rare but renowned neolithic jadeite quarry and is believed, in some circles, to have inspired the widely recognised Paramount Pictures logo.